The Centre provides patients with comprehensive pre-operative information to ensure that they are well prepared for their surgery. Some important things to remember include:
1) Ensure that you have someone to drive you home after your operation. If you take a taxi someone
must accompany you. Make sure you sit on the back seat with your foot elevated
2) Some one should stay with you for 24 hours after your operation
3) Minimise the need to walk by having food and drink to hand. Avoid stairs even if this means moving
your bed to a different location. This is only necessary for the first week.
4) Remember to take your pain medication as instructed
5) Follow our VTE (anti clotting) regime by regularly mobilising you feet as demonstrated
6) Keep your foot dry and have body washes. Do not be tempted to have baths or showers unless you
have acquired a specific waterproof cover.
Our pre-operative booklet can be found at this link: